Saturday, November 20, 2010

...Sing Like Those People I Heard Last Night

Last night, Frank and I were treated to tickets to see the musical, "Oklahoma!" at the Gertrude Castellow Ford Center for the Performing Arts on the campus of The University of Mississippi (Ole Miss).  What a treat!  I love that musical, and the touring troupe we saw last night was great.  Now, our daughter and son-in-law work in theatre, so we have a special place in our hearts for those who work so hard to bring good productions to town.  They blew us away! 

Frank and I are both singers, although he's so much better than I am that I mostly listen to him.  We sing in church and do mostly Southern Gospel music, our favorite.  I used to be better before two sinus surgeries.  In the first one, the surgeon repaired my deviated septum and now my voice has changed.  It's nasal and I hate it.  With so many sinus infections, it actually hurts to sing.  I know that one day God will give me my voice back.  Until then I'll just make joyful noises.

But, back to the actors.  It was such fun watching and listening to them.  Their energy amazes me.  The fact that they can do this night after night along with traveling to different venues is amazing in and of itself.  My daughter tells me that she gets new energy just walking into a theatre, and then when she's in the stage manager's booth, everything else falls away and she's in her zone.  She's really good at her job, partly because she loves it so much, partly because she just so good!  Her husband is a director/actor/stage combat instructor/fight captain, and other things that I don't even understand.  He teaches all of these things at a university, too.  There's a lot of talent between the two of them.  It makes me wonder what my grandson will do when he grows up.  He's already showing a great sense of humor, a bit of drama, and he's singing. He knows how to work a room! 

I'm not comfortable on stage, but Frank is.  He's so good in front of a group, whether singing or talking.  I like to have him standing beside me when I sing for support.  But, I can do it, and love it once I get started. 

I hope to be able to sing again soon, because God has blessed me so much and I want to sing His praises forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment