Monday, November 22, 2010

... Have a Purple Purse

For years and years I wanted pink shoes.  I have narrow feet that are hard to fit and have to buy expensive shoes, so I usually stick to black or navy.  Pretty boring, I know.  It was my heart's desire to own a pair of pretty pink shoes one day.  I even told Frank about 20 years ago to bury me in pink shoes because they wouldn't hurt my feet if I'm dead.  Morbid?  Yes.  But that seemed like the only way I would ever get them.  Well, lo and behold, the spring before my transplant, I found a pink suit and, yes, pink shoes!!! I was so excited to wear them.  It made me feel good because I was very sick at the time, and any little thing that made me feel pretty was encouraging.

As far as purses go, I usually stick with black or navy, too, mostly so that I don't have to keep changing them between casual and dress clothes.  Changing purses is a pain, especially when it's time to leave for church and I've been using some other purse that just won't go with what I'm wearing.  I have bought purses for summer that were cute and colorful, but being the stick in the mud that I am, I always come back to black for fall and winter.

My mother-in-law always gives us money for birthdays and Christmas because she is sick and can't get out and shop any more.  This is very sad because she was a super shopper in her day.  She bought me some of the most beautiful clothes when she was in her prime.  And they always fit!  She gave me some money the other day for my birthday, and I went shopping on Saturday.  There are some major sales going on right now and I took advantage of them.

Besides being a stick in the mud, I'm also cheap.  I'd say frugal, but cheap fits me better, particularly when it comes to purses and earrings.  I refuse to spend more than $10 on a pair of earrings unless I'm using someone else's money, and my limit on a purse is $20.  I also use a purse until it's falling apart, and it was time to let go of the one I had. So, I was scouting for a purse, and told Frank to help me look, bearing in mind the price limit.  He quickly lost interest and wandered to the men's department, leaving me to search for my own cheap purse.  I found it!  It was the only one on the rack that was marked down, so I wondered.  Always the skeptic when it comes to price tags, I carried the purple purse around and thought about it, looked at the ugly black ones that were large enough to use for a diaper bag for my grandson, and decided on the pretty purple one.  I know.  Daring, right?  I had chosen a top with purple in it and some jewelry to go with it, so I thought, why not?  I love it!!  It's perfect, and I can't wait to use it.  I was able to find slacks and a sweater to complete the outfit - not purple, but gray.  Can't be too daring!  Besides, I couldn't find any in purple. I put the outfit on and went to my MIL's house to show it all to her.  She was thrilled to say the least. 

The best part of all of this is what I paid for this purse.  It was $35 and marked down to $13.99, well within my price range.  Then when we got to checkout there was an added discount with the coupon my husband had, so the final price was - wait for it --- $5.41!!  I know!!! I could hardly believe it, either!  I love a bargain and you can't beat that one with a stick.  It doesn't take much to make me happy, as you can see, so I'm ecstatic about this lovely new addition to my wardrobe.  Now to find a lightweight jacket...


2 comments:

  1. Holy cow!!! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute!! I had a purple purse that I LOVED and carried forever. Then it was stolen. Sad day.

    ReplyDelete